The Bachelor of Science in Management programme is intended to address the needs of Guyana by creating a new group of graduates who (1) understand the evolving nature of management, (2) can identify and adopt the appropriate tools to managing within a local and regional context, and (3) can effect change within organizations. The programme is unique in a number of ways. One unique feature of the programme is its emphasis on a strong general/liberal arts education. This focus is intended to help these students to see the link between other areas of study and overall success in the private, public, and non-governmental sectors. Another feature is the focus on practical experiences. Through working with public and private sector agencies, students will not only employ many of the tools learned in their classes, but will also get a better understanding of the relationship between theory and practice. In essence, our students will begin to see the adjustments needed to manage organizations efficiently and effectively, using tools and methodologies that cannot be acquired in the classroom. These students will gather practical exposure to the issues confronting business entities.
Management majors will also be permitted to seek a second major or minor while enrolled in this programme. For those interested in a second major, they must first meet the requirements of the other programme. If that other programme is within the School of Entrepreneurship & Business Innovation, the students will be required to take the major courses in the other area, as well as any necessary prerequisites not covered by the marketing major. For example, a student with a double major in Management and Marketing will be required to complete all requirements for the Management major as well as the major courses for the Marketing programme and the necessary prerequisites. Classes completed as core courses for one major which are also required for the other major do not have to be repeated. Hence, a student in such a double major will be required to complete 18 additional credits, as one practicum will be double counted. Students seeking a double major outside of SEBI MUST apply to the other faculty for permission and meet all the requirements of that programme.
Students may also pursue a minor. Students minoring within SEBI will be required to complete 9 additional credits in the minor area, not including any prerequisites. Students minoring outside of SEBI, MUST apply to the other faculty for permission and meet all the requirements of that programme.
The duration of the programme is Four Years (eight semesters).
This programme has three goals in mind:
1. Enhance a student’s understanding of management functions within a global economy;
2. Enhance the competence of managers, such that organizations operate more efficiently and effectively;
3. Reinforce the student’s understanding of regional and global influences on management in organizations.
The objectives of this programme are to:
1. Provide students with a complete understanding of the business functions of organizations.
2. Offer students an understanding of the political, legal and regulatory environments of business.
3. Help students develop critical, analytical thinking, and effective communication skills.
4. Expose students to technologies used in human resources practices
5. Expose students the challenges to effective management techniques within a global community.